Saturday, February 6, 2010

The Finland-Swedish tradition - Edith Södergran

While in Turku, Finland, I have been taking an introductory course in Finland-Swedish literature. I assumed that this course would compare Finnish and Swedish literature, but to my (pleasant) surprise, the Finland-Swedes are actually their own minority culture. This culture is very small and waning, but it has produced some compelling poetry that can be enjoyed and appreciated throughout the literary world. It's interesting how different minority cultures tend to have many parallels (at least thematically) within their literatures. For example, a theme that pervades most of the writing is the search for some sort of concrete identity. Minority cultures tend to see themselves as outcasts and separated from the majority culture, so naturally the need for identity is increased. This is, of course, only one example.

One poet in particular has caught my attention. Edith Södergran was perhaps the most important poet in the Finland-Swedish tradition, although most would likely give that honor to Johan Runeberg. She was a pioneer of the modernist movement, a shift from the romantic nationalism that preceded her. Her poetry is considered radical for its time, in that it searched the self and its identity in the collective, as opposed to conservative poems from poets of the romantic tradition that praised patriotism and an acceptance of the status quo. Similar modernist literary movements have occurred around the world and many at about the same time period...makes me wonder if there isn't some kind of connecting force driving the evolution of literature and, by extension, humanity. Enjoy these two poems by Södergran, and keep in mind the idea of the minority culture and the revolutionary nature of her work for its time.

On foot I had to cross the Solar System
(1919)

On foot
I had to cross the solar system
before I found the first thread of my red dress.
I sense myself already.
Somewhere in space hangs my heart,
shaking the void, from it streams sparks
into other intemperate hearts.

Vierge Moderne
(1916)

I am no woman. I am a neuter.
I am a child, a page and a bold resolve,
I am a laughing stripe of a scarlet sun...
I am a net for all greedy fish,
I am a skoal to the glory of all women,
I am a step towards hazard and ruin,
I am a leap into freedom and self...
I am the whisper of blood in the ear of a man,
I am the soul's auge, the longing and refusal of the flesh,
I am an entrance sign to new paradises.
I am a flame, searching and brazen,
I am water, deep but daring up to the knee,
I am fire and water in free and loyal union...

No comments:

Post a Comment