Monday, January 18, 2010

Martin Luther King Jr. Day

In honor of one of the greatest men to ever live on this earth, I have a poem by Langston Hughes that I feel is a accurate representation of what Dr. King believed in. "I do not need freedom when I'm dead/I cannot live on tomorrow's bread." We must love each other now, not in the future or in the past - now. I find it fascinating and quite sad that a poem like this one can still ring true years after it was written. Enjoy and much love!!

Democracy

Democracy will not come
Today, this year
Nor ever
Through compromise and fear.

I have as much right
As the other fellow has
To stand
On my two feet
And own the land.

I tire so of hearing people say,
Let things take their course
.
Tomorrow is another day.
I do not need my freedom when I'm dead.
I cannot live on tomorrow's bread.

Freedom
Is a strong seed

Planted
In a great need.

I live here, too.
I want freedom
Just as you.

Langston Hughes

No comments:

Post a Comment